Bye-bye Borders - for good

Whenever I go out book-shopping or to a library, I like to make lists of what I get and check them off as I finish reading each book.  It gives me some focus as well as a sense of accomplishment when I'm done.  I originally bought these books over a month ago.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen
Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
The Janitor's Boy by Andrew Clements

You might notice a distinct pattern in the list above.  That's because I caved and bought a box set of Dessen books (including a cheap key pendant).  I also found Will Grayson in paperback (finally!) so I resolved on getting that.  Janitor's Boy was something my little bro found for me at a garage sale a couple days ago, but I thought it should be included.  As I have been a fan of Clements' work, I'm thinking of doing a special review for the four or five books of his I have.



In other news, yes, I have heard that Borders is officially going out of business.  I suppose I ought to be sad, but I really can't muster up the sympathy for an overpriced book chain being run over by the dismal economy.  Don't get me wrong: declining book sales absolutely suck, especially for prospective writers like myself.  Maybe I'm feeling smug because of my Kindle and the local Half-Priced Books ten minutes away.  But as it stands, I really won't miss Borders; I would rather champion the independent bookstore.

Comments

Popular Posts