A 'Ray' of light

Would it surprise anyone to know that I went through a manga phase during my adolescence? 


Maybe not.  It seems to be an inevitability for young female bookworms in the '90s.  But what may be more surprising is that a few series have stayed with me throughout my life, and today I decided to share my experience with one in particular: Magic Knight Rayearth. The short but powerful series holds a place on my bookshelf as well as a place in my soul.


Umi, Fuu, and Hikaru are three teen girls who have never met before, but once they find themselves summoned to a magical land, they prove to be fast friends. Guided by a wizard and a Pikachu-like creature, they learn that they cannot return home until they free a kidnapped princess from the cold, unforgiving Master Zagoto.  Along the way, they find armor and weapons, meet allies and confront enemies, and learn that willpower is the key to saving the day.  In the land of Cephiro, one's will shapes one's destiny.


Unfortunately, there is one more twist to encounter before the end, and the rescue mission turns out to be something entirely different than the girls could have ever expected ....


This series has a lot to recommend itself.  The three main characters go far deeper than their initial stereotypes.  Umi, instead of being a prissy rich girl, is sensitive and generous - although she has an entertainingly short fuse.  Fuu, the ultra-polite nerd, hides her slyness and vulnerability behind a veneer of orderliness.  Hikaru, energetic and friend to all animals, has a resolve of steel and always means business.  Together, they make one pretty intimidating team.  Secondary characters - a couple of love interests, silly villains, a cutesy fur ball with a huge reveal at the end - are satisfying in their own ways.  And, since the word "knight" is in the title, you can bet that there are plenty of high-paced action sequences - many involving giant robots fighting in space, as well as general swash-buckling.  Destinies are fulfilled and ignored, wills are broken and then mended; and themes such as self-sacrifice, the power of friendship, fate-defying love, tight-knit communities, and characters' motivations are illustrated and discussed in detail.  An adventurous series with a touching ending, Rayearth is - hear me out - a deeply satisfying and effective story.


I'm not a huge fan of the Japanese manga genre (although technically it's not a genre so much as a format, but this is a lit major's quibble) in general, but I recognize its appeal.  All a non-reader needs to know is that it's a comic book read from right-to-left.  I've read school stories dripping with soap opera tropes and thoughtful, if weird, sci-fi romances.  I first became interested in Rayearth after spotting one of the books at a friend's house and she gave me the first two books of the series.  As each book takes approximately 25-30 minutes to read - and that's if you go slow - I was soon hungry for more.  And although I sort of accidentally read Magic Knight Rayearth II: Book 1 before Magic Knight Rayearth I: Book 3, it only fueled my desire to collect the entire series.  And let me say again: It was totally worth it.  


I tell you this because Rayearth carries an important message that I keep finding solace in: nobody is alone.  In the books, Hikaru - the main-est of the three mains - realizes quite clearly that she is supported, physically and emotionally, by her new besties Fuu and Umi.  The idea of sharing - sharing responsibility, sharing intense feelings - is contrasted with the idea of singularity - that one person should have all the control.  But control is something of an illusion; yet at the same time, Hikaru makes an important decision that goes against tradition and in doing so changes her fate.  The complexity of these themes merits some re-readings, and every time I return I am struck with the love these characters feel for each other, and the importance of unity in the face of sacrifice.  These books will be sitting on my shelf for a long time to come.

Comments

Popular Posts