Summer '12 book list

Going to thrift stores for book-diving is a dicey venture. The titles most likely won't be current. The books aren't always in good condition. A lot of five- and ten-year-old bestsellers crowd the shelves, making customers muse on how quickly popular titles can become overrated. If you're in a contemplative mood, you'll wonder who the previous owners were and for what reason they got rid of these books. If they didn't like them, where's the guarantee that you will?

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Bossypants by Tina Fey

I'd call this a success. Here are a couple of famous titles, a lesser-known find, a quirky bestseller, and a very recent memoir. Confederacy is a novel I've heard about, but I don't know much so the plot is largely unspoiled. Same with Fahrenheit, which I bought partly on a friend's recommendation and partly in honor of Bradbury, who sadly passed away some days ago. Tale's story about a reclusive author intrigues me for obvious reasons. It seemed too good an opportunity to pass up Guernsey, a novel I've seen in stores and on my Amazon home page frequently. Bossypants is the real find here, as I've been aching to read Fey's first book since it came out. I'll be hard at work with these books all summer.

Comments

Popular Posts