The downside of 'having rather too much her own way'

A little over a year ago, I wrote a paper on Emma for my Jane Austen class. Emma is not my favorite book - let alone my favorite Austen novel - so I figured that even if I wrote a sucky term paper on it, it wouldn't necessarily "ruin" the book for me. I had first read Emma a few years before, back when a chance purchase of Mansfield Park spurred me on to complete the set, as it were, of Austen novels. Honestly - and if I can't be honest here, then where else? - it took me awhile to really "get" the book and the main character - the breadth of her immaturity, her spoiled and superficial view of the world, her rush to do right by her friends without taking stock of the true meanings of her actions. Austen knew what she was getting into when she said that she was going to "take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like."

Even so, Emma has received much acclaim from many critics as being one of the best works of literature out there. It has been described as "a murder mystery without the murder" - in other words, a sort of comedy-of-manners-meets-suspense novel. Those who has read it will probably agree with such a description. There is a lot of uncertainty throughout the novel, a lot of guesses that come in the form of assertions, and plenty of opinionated characters whose different personalities and outlooks can hinder their judgments. Emma herself is, time and again, susceptible to making bad calls.

As the richest young woman living in Highbury, Emma is, in the most literal sense, in a class of her own. Pampered by an indulgent father and governess, Emma's confidence in her abilities has never wavered. The only person who exists that feels obligated to set her right is Mr. Knightley, a land-owning gentleman and relative by marriage. Emma values his friendship, but not his lectures. When her governess marries - an event Emma likes to take credit for - Emma seeks out another friend in the form of Harriet, a sweet, naive girl who looks to Emma for guidance. Wanting the best for her friend, Emma schemes to have Harriet wind up with the good-looking, smooth-talking young vicar. Meanwhile, another young man enters the society of Highbury, the prodigal son Frank Churchill, who seems to have his eye on Emma. She is sure she's in possession of all the facts, but it soon becomes clear that a few important details have slipped by her ...

Reading this book again - after having seen one movie adaptation and the excellent BBC miniseries (Episode 1 is still on Youtube!) based off it - I was struck with how long it took me to read it. I finished this baby in four days this time, a far cry from the long months it took me the first time around. Much of this has to do with knowing how it ends; having solved the non-murder murder mystery, it's great to pick up on the various hints Austen put in. It's also more enjoyable now that I'm more familiar with the tricky class system that dominated Austen's era and defines at least part of Emma's world view. Lastly, now that I'm more familiar with Emma's flaws, I'm more inclined to cut her some slack. She makes mistakes and miscalculations even after she makes real attempts to be more cautious. She feels deeply whenever Harriet or another character is hurt by her indirect (and sometimes direct) actions. Her heart is in the right place even though her mind is jumping around, unwilling to sit still. It's just that she needs to learn to listen to someone other than herself.

There is one element of the novel that has irked me in the past, and still saddens me a little. It's hinted early on, and then proven more than once, that Emma and Harriet's friendship is bad news for both parties. I myself have had confident friends who like to give me advice, so I could relate to Harriet (I seriously doubt any of them would want to convince me in turning down a proposal, though). Austen believes that female friendships must be based on a degree of mutual thinking and similar personalities; the easily-led Harriet becomes more of a pawn for Emma to manipulate. Their separation occurs because of two very similar, very happy events; they both have new lives to lead, new responsibilities. Those responsibilities just don't include being BFFs. Considering the result of their friendship, maybe this separation is a good call.

Okay, I'll stop summarizing from my term paper. The point is, Emma is a hugely entertaining and rewarding novel. Does it belong on an "all-time best" list? I don't have an answer to that. I don't think the question needs to be asked. Most books make someone's list; the best thing to say about Emma is that it's not like most books.

Comments

Popular Posts