I've never really shopped as an adult before. Whether it's books or clothes or movies or food, I tend to go with the familiar, the cheap, and occasionally the bland. On a trip to Barnes & Noble today, I decided to surprise myself.

The Best American Essays 2012 edited by David Brooks
The Sexual History of London by Catharine Arnold
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
I Remember You by Harriet Evans

Apparently the recipe for "adult reader" contains one part fiction, two parts nonfiction, and one part chick lit.

Anyway, I am excited to embark on each of these books for different reasons. I've wanted to read Bonfire for a few years now after completing Wolfe's college-themed sort-of-misfire I Am Charlotte Simmons. And to be fair, Harriet Evan's offering appears to be a bit more weighty and contemplative than chick lit, which is exactly why I zeroed in on it. Essays surprised me as a choice, but after reading While You Are Engulfed in Flames, I am eager to branch out subject-wise. Finally, anything with the words "sexual history" is going to catch anyone's eye, but it interested me specifically because I just finished watching a BBC series called Charles II, which emphasizes the king's sexual urges and how they played a hefty role in his career. English and British history - sexual or otherwise - has always caught my interest.

Comments

Popular Posts