One of those "so yeah" posts

There's no one reason why I've neglected to update in the last six or seven weeks. I really didn't mean for my review of Fables to be my last post of 2013. Rather, there were a bunch of smaller reasons why I've been ignoring this blog. Some of them are boring stuff, like work and the holidays. Some reasons are a bit more interesting, and I'll get to those in a minute. But one reason in particular occurred to me just this morning, and I think it's my duty to explain it right now.

I have been reading Dear Life, Alice Munro's newest collection of short stories. I'm about two-thirds of the way through, but I've been putting off finishing it. I've always struggled with reviewing multiple stories in one go - there's something so straightforward about a novel that allows for my thoughts to flow seamlessly. But the fact is - the thing that I'm dancing around right now - is that Munro intimidates the hell out of me. She's able to capture really moving, evocative, and downright creepy moments in this really effortless way. Honestly, sometimes I don't want to return to some of her stories after I've finished reading them. Some are just sad. Most deal in very gray areas involving protagonists who don't usually make the right choices. Of course, other stories are just the opposite - they demand a re-reading if only because the ending takes on new meaning afterwards. A brilliant example of this is "The Bear Came Over the Mountain" (found in Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage), which illustrates the growing desperation of a good-enough husband to bring happiness to his semi-estranged wife. The implications of that story's entangled ending will make any reader want to the pore over the last page on repeat until ultimate realization dawns. And when it does, you realize how human Munro's characters are.

Back to Life. For now I will say that for a collection with a title like that, a lot of its stories center around death or deteriorating health. There are some bright spots, a few places where we see hope slowly embracing the characters. A lot of the stories are imbued with a kind of longing, I might even say gloom, about the different ways we are all our own worst enemies. A motif of independently-minded, strict men and the questionable actions they take begins to form. But it's not the best book to read while trying to get into the Christmas/[your holiday here] spirit, so I let it slid for most of December.

I think for now the best way to go about this is to talk about one or a handful of stories for each post. I'm not going to rush myself because I want to give Munro's writing the attention it deserves. Meanwhile, I've got a few other books to read. I'm looking forward to getting back into the pattern.

If I am slow in posting reviews, there are a few reasons why:

I'm watching/rewatching Doctor Who episodes. I got into it last August and now that the 11th Doctor has left us, I'll be suffering with the rest of the fans who have to watch it in real time. Also I might start to watch the original series. 

I'm watching Supernatural episodes. I finished the first season in a week and I'm halfway through the second. It's ... it's growing on me.

I'm watching Sherlock and/or Downton Abbey. So I'll basically be in hibernation until February.

I'm building my writing porfolio. Wow, that sounds really grown-up. But yeah, career stuff. Let's move on.

I'm redesigning my wardrobe. It's sort of an on-going venture.

I'm trapped on Tumblr and I can't get off. Don't worry, I'll be practicing safe blogging.

Comments

Popular Posts