Alice ahoy

This is definitely a record for most reviews in one week. Due dates are very motivating in that respect.

Alice's boyfriend Patrick isn't the only one going on a trip (although his takes him all the way to Spain): Alice herself has signed up to work on a brand new cruise line. And yeah, the work is hard and the hours are insane, but Alice has her three best friends with her and enough Wifi to feel connected to Patrick. The maiden voyage of the Seascape holds many adventures for her - some more pleasant than others. Pam's messed-up mom decides to come along in order to show off in front of her ex, Pam's dad, and a pervy guest makes Alice uncomfortable. On the plus side, the bubbly Alice is ready to make friends, and bonds with Mitch, a lost soul who likes trying new things but wishes to return to a simple life. But an unexpected disaster plagues the Seascape, and for the first time during her summer, uncertainty rears its ugly head.

I enjoyed this outing greatly. Compared to previous Alice stories, this one has a better framing device and a more logical pace. At times it feels more like a novel about a cruise ship than Alice's life, but I liked this departure. It illustrates how some things are impossible to control and gives Alice an opportunity to grow as a person. And when it focuses on having fun, Naylor captures the feeling of a great last summer before college: that feeling of freedom, of living in the moment. Mitch is a great addition to Alice's story, and their platonic chemistry is sweet; I like that Alice has a friend who can give her an outsider's perspective on her life, such as when Mitch catches her getting upset over not saying goodbye to Patrick. I'd love to see this relationship continue in the final novel. Pam's subplot is also a welcome addition, drama and all, and I was satisfied with its resolution. The complications that arise between Alice and Patrick make me curious for once to see how it plays out.

Now that I'm so close to the ending, I find myself growing nostalgic and forgiving. Although it'd be hard to chart, I feel that Alice has turned into a different, more steady character than when I first read about her. This gives me hope for the final outing, which I've already ordered. Yikes!

Rating: 4.5 bee stings out of 5.

Comments

Popular Posts