Pride & Prejudice, ch. 2: A Day In The Life


So! Turns out that Mr. Bennet secretly planned to meet Mr. Bingley all along and then teased his wife about not wanting to visit him ever, like, never ever. And now hes trolling his daughters, too. Wow. After all that.

… Huh.

Is it weird that I don’t like Mr. Bennet now as much as I did before? Although as pranks go, this is pretty harmless, so maybe I’m just being a grump. His visiting Mr. Bingley does show that he a) knows how to be a good neighbor and possibly b) understands that he’s doing it primarily for his daughters’ sake. Later we get more of Mr. Bennet complaining about the aspects of propriety that he thinks are superficial, so maybe this is his way of acting out. Like a small, personal, ineffectual rebellion.

Anyway, Mr. Bennet starts teasing Elizabeth, which provokes Mrs. Bennet. Here is where we hear Elizabeth speak for the first time in the novel. First-time readers might pass over it, because what she says is pretty boring. But look again: Elizabeth is literally the voice of reason. She points out that they’ll all meet Mr. Bingley at a neighborhood ball. No jokes, no sarcasm, just a statement of fact. You know, it has always bugged me that one of the best characters in British literature (and arguably literature in general) gets such a dry introduction. First-time readers have no idea what’s in store for them in the next chapter.

Her mom gets salty about the woman who will be introducing them to Mr. Bingley, sniffing that “I have no opinion of her” after telling us all exactly what she thinks of her. Turns out that we should actually read that as “I have no [good] opinion of her,” which is just as dumb, as she’s saying the same thing twice. This is the point where, if you weren’t that annoyed with Mrs. Bennet before, things start to change.

Mr. Bennet continues to put his daughters and his wife on the spot as he ribs them. Mary gets shut down before she can speak up, Kitty is yelled at for coughing at the wrong time, and Mrs. Bennet (understandably) becomes more irritated at her husband’s apparent nonsequitors. Finally he reveals that he did actually visit Mr. Bingley and the mood brightens considerably. Now, since the visit only happened that morning and not, like, a week ago, this “joke” plays much better. I guess a guy like Mr. Bennet can’t just come out and say something—he has to make a production out of it.

Quick aside: “I do not cough for my own amusement” is an underrated line, and probably the funniest thing Kitty ever says (intentionally or otherwise). Someone could write a modern adaptation where half of the characters are struggling stand-up comedians (maybe call it Humorous Persons).

Also, “fatigued with the raptures of his wife” really is the Bennets’ marriage in a nutshell. When she’s happy, he can’t handle it: not because he’s a heartless bastard, but because her emotions are always turned up to eleven no matter how she’s feeling. Mrs. Bennet praises him with these extreme turns of phrase—his being a good neighbor transforms into a “kindness” for which they must “make him amends.” Ugh, okay, now she’s starting to wear me out.

By the way, I have never, in all the years I’ve re-read this book, never pictured Lydia as the tallest of the Bennet sisters. I know that this has been influenced by just about every movie adaptation of P&P (clearly everyone feels free to ignore the height thing). But even during the first time I read Lydia’s declaration of “I’m the tallest!”, I never remembered it throughout the story. How many of you believe her? How many of you assume that she’s giving herself a couple inches? It could be that her ego has influenced her self-perception or that her height has given her ego a boost (not that she needs one, what with her mom already coupling her up with the poor unsuspecting Mr. Bingley).

We leave the Bennets with only a vague idea of when they might see Mr. Bingley for the first time. Goosebumps!

Next time: Charles “Good Vibes” Bingley makes his appearance, we get our first ball, and a very important snubbing takes place.

Comments

  1. I've never had any difficulty with her as the tallest which I think it may be because I read P&P long before we were as conscious as we are now about grown men preying on children so I assumed that for Wickham in his late 20s to have bothered with her she must look much more grown up than she was because I was 15 or 16 and I was sure I couldn't get a guy of 28! Interestingly Georgiana is described similarly, she doesn't get to speak, but we are told she is 'womanly'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my comments on the same chapter. If it is too much, let me know and I'll make future notes shorter.

    Mr. Bennet continues his teasing and I am becoming a bit tired of it. I find myself thinking, “Why can’t you just tell them you have called on Mr. Bingley? Why get your wife all riled up? Stop trying so hard to be cute.” And these are my thoughts about the father Elizabeth and Jane love so much! I don’t care. His wife is a simple woman and easily pleased. She turns from unhappy to happy in a second when he mentions his call. But he just has to needle her. Not nice.
    We learn a lot about the characters.
    Our Heroine only speaks twice, but she is shown as a peacemaker, trying to make her mother feel better.
    Kitty may turn out to have a slight health problem. On the other hand, she may just have needed to cough. Her reply to her mother may not be respectful (Jane Austen is very strong about the necessity to be respectful of parents in word, thought, and deed.) but it is understandable. Kitty knows she can say something of that sort to her mother without fear of reproach.
    “The girls stared at their father.” I should think Jane and Elizabeth would have started to catch on by now, but here they are, staring with the rest.
    Then we are introduced to Mary. Apparently she is the “bookish” one of the family, reading “great books” and “making extracts.” This is the first time her father speaks to her and it is to belittle her ability to think quickly and produce clever answers. That’s not nice! Pick on someone your own size!
    And finally, after Mrs. Bennet has made the protestations about how she would rather stay home than go to a party which she considers are what a woman in her position should say, we learn that Lydia is both the youngest and the tallest! She also speaks up “stoutly,” which in view of her future is an important clue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrgh! I'm already at odds with you guys.

    Anna, I don't yet see anything offensive about Mr. Bennet. I think you're letting your repeated rereadings influence your opinions now (I've read it at least a dozen times, too :-)). At this point I see a playful man playing with his family. Yes, later on it becomes gratingly apparent that he's an irresponsible father, and that the presently irritating Mrs. Bennet is desperately trying to provide for her daughters' futures. And it always bugs me painfully to see people trashing Alison Steadman's portrayal of Mrs, Bennet, when she's actually the only one in all the adaptations who plays her as Austen wrote her!

    As for Lydia's being the tallest, I have no problem with it. It's almost a throwaway line that just serves to accentuate her sassiness. All the adaptations throw away far more important segments of the story for who knows what possible motive!

    If you let me continue, I'll have more to say about Mary at the appropriate time. About all of them, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we are letting our many rereadings influence what we think. I didn't know we were supposed to be approaching this as if we had never read the book before.

      When I first read the book, and for many rereadings thereafter, I saw Mr. Bennet as Elizabeth sees him. The author tells us he is "indolent," but that is the greatest fault we are directly told about. My realization that he was not as nice as I originally thought came about the time I also realized Mrs. Bennet was not the complete fool I had thought her.

      As for Alison Steadman's Mrs. B., I would never think of trashing the performance. I thought it was just fine!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, it's so difficult to navigate this site with no sidebars or no "next post" or "previous post" links! So sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts