Things That No One Asked For: Sara Bareilles Edition


Once again it is that time of year when I must take a break from all things Austen and plug into my own pop culture landscape. Inspired by Taylor Swift song rankings, the construction of a c. 2012 playlist, and a general need to talk about the things I like, here I present my personal ranking of my favorite singer/songwriter, Sara Bareilles. I did not include covers or songs from Waitress (except the one single we got out of it), because right now even I don’t want to pretend I have the time. Maybe I’ll add them in a later edition …

Updated to include older songs that the Youtube algorithm provided me with.

For funsies, the tiers are named after my favorite drinks.

Coffee rings - A mess left by a mug of coffee that is all gone and now I’m annoyed. These are the songs that leave something to be desired.

85. My Love [Careful Confessions]: A love song that tries for soulful and falls flat. Also, way too long. In fact, that’s what I dislike about it more than the first thing.

84. Tread Water [single]: There’s a metaphor about unrequited love in there somewhere in all the talk about water, docks, and boats. But it’s too vague. It feels like the first draft of a potentially better song.

83. August Moon [single - live version]: Not objectively horrible—it just leaves me cold. Does a decent job of capturing the vulnerability of the person who finds herself in the sad corner of a love triangle.

Chamomile - Not as strong as coffee, usually a calming and inoffensive drink—just on the boring side.

82. Only Shadows [single]: A little would-be weepy. I like her piano-playing here, but overall I’m not attracted to these songs of unrequited love unless there’s some raw power in the production.

81. Everyday Stranger [single]: Some of these early efforts (cf. “The Artist,” “Responsible,” “Waiting to See,” “Pretend,” etc.) suffer from their similar production and sound. It’s a perfectly acceptable sound, but it doesn’t serve every song. This one starts off bluesy but is weighed down by its weak chorus.

80. Good Girls [single]: The fast-paced melody singles it out from the other unreleased singles around the CC era, but the lyrics feel impersonal. Rejecting the role of a stereotypical Stepford wife isn’t that applicable of a theme. “Fairytale” is the superior version of this song.

79. Islands [Blessed Unrest]: Curiously, this song’s theme of crippling isolation is the very reason why I don’t often come back to it. Better appreciated from a distance.

71. I Just Want You [single - live version]: A would-be weepy with a simplicity that makes it more accessible.

78. Waiting To See [single]: An early effort that has some energy to it. I find the lyrics too vague.

77. Breathe Again [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Too long, but some of the lyrics are good. She’s written better versions of this song since KH.

76. If I Dare [single]: I’ll always remember this as the only single of hers that left me disappointed the first time I heard it. I gave it another chance and it improved on my initial judgment. There’s power in them there lyrics.

75. The Light [Kaleidoscope Heart]: It’s like a dirge … but with hope? Again, the vulnerability here is appealing.

74. Starting Over [single]: I don’t know much about key changes and vocal ranges (except that they … exist), but this is an early song where it sounds like she found a range that works in her favor. Also, it has a pretty melody.

73. Between The Lines [Little Voice]: I will listen to this two times in a row when I’m feeling it. I am usually not feeling it. That said, the lyrics are really sharp for a song that’s about a situationship.

72. Before I Ever Knew Better: Lyrically, it’s good. It digs into heartbreak and innocence lost, but not in a heavy-handed way. But there’s a mismatch between the content and the tempo that I can’t get past.

71. Pretend [single]: A jazzy effort that just sort of exists. Inoffensive and fun, but forgettable. 

70. Carolina [Kaleidoscope Heart EP]: This country-influenced song strays from her usual sound. She commits to it and she sounds good. One of her singles that I respect more than I like. 

69. Let The Rain [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Okay, so maybe I kinda forgot about this song until I combed through this list … for the third time. This song isn’t that bad! I just like her better when she’s being aggressive and inspirational instead of small and inspirational. She doesn’t have to worry about her voice being so little any more, is my point.

68. I Wanna Be Like Me [Blessed Unrest EP]: Like If I Dare, this one didn’t impress me on first listen. Then I returned to it and realized how cute and sunny the lyrics are. This is one of those songs that might rise up through the ranks in the future.

67. Bright Lights & Cityscapes [Once Upon Another Time]: I have to hit this with the “too long” critique again. But I like the tinkly sad piano here, and the imagery of a sparkling city.

66. Gravity [Little Voice]: Guys, I’m sorry. I just don’t find this song all that interesting. That said, the lyrics are pretty damn good and the music video absolutely guts me (watch it in the dark—it’s gorgeous).

Almond Latte - A non-dairy treat that sounds like the healthy option, its light flavor pairs well with a sugary pastry. These are the songs that are almost great on their own but not quite there.

65. Bittersweet [single]: So this is basically “City” (right down to the percussion), but as a soulful, forgiving break-up song. The healing factor of the lyrics is what sets this apart.

64. Shiny [Amidst the Chaos EP]: Cute, sweet, simple. A song that doesn’t overreach. I appreciate it.

63. Eyes On You [Amidst the Chaos]: It’s grown on me. I like that it feels like she’s a character in the song and not Sara Bareilles, soulful/playful singer/songwriter. Its 80s rock influence isn’t my favorite.

62. Chasing The Sun [Blessed Unrest]: The empowering production, with its cello and the rising backing vocals, really sells this, but sometimes the sincerity of the lyrics gets muddled.

61. The Artist [single]: Here, the lyrics paint a specific picture—that of a romantically and sexually frustrated woman who’s tired of the Pygmalion dynamic she currently has with the titular artist. Subversive + horny = wicked good, no matter how unpolished the production. Although, that guitar doesn’t gell at all.

60. Root Down [Blessed Unrest EP]: The production absolutely makes this song for me. It’s one of her shortest songs and, at the risk of sounding like I’m giving a back-handed compliment, its length works in its favor.

59. Responsible [Careful Confessions]: An early effort from when she was straddling the two sounds of folk and blues. The lesser song to “Undertow.”

58. Kaleidoscope Heart [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Is this just an intro? Yes. Does it belong on this list? Maybe not. Do I like it anyway? You bet the rainbow hidden ’neath my skin I do.

57. Free Ride [single - live version]: It’s not bad. The melody is catchy. But I’d forgotten, in searching for Bareilles’s singles, that this had existed even though I once owned the live album that it’s on (now lost in the sands of time and old MP3s), which is not a great sign. The dour version of “Vegas.”

56. Turn To Me [single]: You get the feeling that she’s trying to get across the complex feeling of being an ex with unfinished business. The folk-blues groove is touch-and-go, but when it’s there, man, it’s good stuff. “A paradox of chains and locks” is a great example of a snappy lyric that suggests a deeper history. Points deducted for the surprise harmonica that interrupts the flow.

55. A Safe Place To Land [Amid the Chaos]: A sophisticated ballad that carries additional weight due to its heartbreaking, real-life source of inspiration. It … gets me in a mood. John Legend sounds fucking great here.

54. City [Little Voice]: This song is higher on the list than I thought it’d be. Another sad, lonely song from the perspective of a sad, lonely young woman. There’s a fullness to the production that saves it from being sad in a boring way. Sort of like a classic rock ballad.

53. Uncharted [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Not my favorite album opener, but still a fun song. The line “Compare where you are to where you want to be and you’ll get nowhere” is one of the most enduring pieces of life advice you’ll ever hear.

52. Basketcase [Kaleidoscope Heart]: The harmonica enhances this song’s bittersweet tone, and the lyrics are so vulnerable that they make me wince in sympathy. “You got a steel train touch and I’m just a track you lay”? Ooof. One of her more moody outings.

51. King Restless [single]: Not only is this filled with sexual innuendo (the singer learns that “some other eyes were watching your sunrise” and refers to living in “a castle worth coming in”), but then the guy apparently has the gall to blame the narrator for … not being horny enough for him? Sit back and live vicariously through  a story of sexy times past that ends in righteous anger.

50. Orpheus [Amidst the Chaos]: You know those songs that feel like you’re snuggling under a warm blanket, maybe resting your head on a loved one’s sympathetic shoulder? This is a sadder version of that feeling. Fans of folklore will really appreciate this song as well as the entire back half of ATC.

49. Eden [Blessed Unrest]: The energy here is good, and the message is super-relatable. Really fun to listen to when you feel like walking away from everything. But what in the hell is “a serpent-shaped heart” supposed to look like?

48. Any Way The Wind Blows [single]: Objectively her best single from her CC era. Definitely one of her first songs that’s easy to sing along with.

47. Brave [Blessed Unrest]: Super sweet message, super explosive beat. I support any song where she uses the full power of her voice, overplay be damned. Damn you, Jack Antonoff.

46. Undertow [Careful Confessions]: The lyrics have a winking honesty, and the bare-bones production adds a slinky quality. Love that outro. She cops an attitude here that distinguishes this effort from “Responsible” and others of the CC era.

45. Morningside [Little Voice]: Used to be one of my absolute favorites, but these days I’m not always in the mood for a “belligerent sexual tension” vibe. I still don’t have a firm idea of what, exactly, a morningside is, but this song has convinced me that I have one.

44. December [Blessed Unrest]: An underrated closing track that’s sad in all the good ways. Also one of the only songs I’ve ever heard where the long length serves to underscore the song’s meaning. Smart and soulful.

43. Saint Honesty [Amidst the Chaos]: Ugh, this song kills me. Give it a year and it will rise up further on this list, but for the longest time I kept mixing it up with “Orpheus.” Love her voice here, love the return to blues/gospel influences.

42. One Sweet Love [Little Voice]: First I loved it, then I forgot about it for several years, then a few months ago I discovered that I needed it again. Still has some of my favorite lyrics: “I undress my mind and dare you to follow,” “Your unexpected love provides my solitary’s suicide,” “the sky itself will carry me back to you.” I love me a complex, hopeful love song.

41. Manhattan [Blessed Unrest]: One of her better break-up songs, served well by a mature perspective. It’s just so real.

40. Someone Who Loves Me [Amidst the Chaos]: Beautiful. Quiet. Unassuming.

39. King Of Anything [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Not her first kiss-off song, but perhaps her most cheerful one. Voted Most Likely To Lift My Spirits (yes, it beat out Brave). The strings-only version is perhaps even better than the studio album. Still waiting for that version to be cut into a trailer for the perennial Pride & Prejudice remake. It’s got that Lizzy Bennet vibe.

38. Many The Miles [Little Voice]: A gospel-influenced effort that underlines her enduring optimism. This is one of two of her song where I could listen to a version twice as long and not get bored.

37. Vegas [Little Voice]: A cool song that makes me want to go travel. Is that the point? I really don’t know. 

36. Too Good For You So Sorry [single]: Love it. Love the attitude, love the venom in her voice. A much stronger version of “Pretend.” I’d kill for a studio album version of this song, just to see what she’d do differently in the production.

35. Send Me The Moon [Kaleidoscope Heart EP]: This is absolutely precious. I found myself listening to it on repeat after re-discovering it for the first time in a decade. Totally should have been included on the original album. Tonally, this song is the perfect bridge between KH and OUAT.

Grasshopper Mocha - A sweet treat that combines the comfort of chocolate, the jolt of coffee, and the playfulness of peppermint. These are the songs that give me a reason to wake up in the morning.

34. Inside Out [Careful Confessions]: For me, the appeal of this song has risen in proportion to the amount of hardships I’ve experienced. The vulnerability invites the listener in and the theme (finding your place) is universal. The production has that warm, off-beat coffeehouse feel to it.

33. Once Upon Another Time [Once Upon Another Time]: They should have a version of Clue where this song is one of the weapons, because it kills me every time I listen to it. If you’ve ever felt like you’re living in the wrong alternate universe, take five minutes out of your day to listen to this song.

32. I Choose You [Blessed Unrest]: Sweet, upbeat, and sincere. The second-best of her silly love songs, and not even particularly silly at that.

31. Not Alone [Kaleidoscope Heart]: This is a great example of a song whose universality works in its favor. Plus, this has probably the only sample of any of her songs, and what does she choose to sample? Alfred Hitchcock talking about what scares people the most. Put this on your next Halloween playlist.

30. Red [Careful Confessions]: Rough around the edges and with a lot of heart and attitude, which really describes all her good CC stuff. Again, it’s her attitude that helps sell the song.

29. Fire [Amidst the Chaos]: “Let me hold your ego while you get your bag packed.” The great thing here is that she’s singing about not feeling fired up about a relationship, and yet the very power of her voice hints that she knows exactly what that feeling should feel like.

28. Parking Lot [Blessed Unrest EP]: This was one of those songs that turned into an unexpected listening-on-repeat session for me. I’m not 100% sold on the metaphor (a parking lot as an emotionally-stifling jail cell), but the power behind the chorus absolutely slays me. 

27. Sweet As Whole [Once Upon Another Time]: I love it when she swears and I love it when someone makes her angry. Is that so wrong? Also, hello, backing vocal [checks notes] Ben Folds.

26. Bottle It Up [Little Voice]: Okay, so her interpretation that she’s talking to herself in this song doesn’t fit as well as my interpretation, which is that she’s telling some pretentious, entitled ex to back the fuck off. I’ll admit it—a big part of why this song ranks so high is due to nostalgia.

25. Hold My Heart [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Another pretty-but-sad break-up song, this one has the kind of lush production that adds depth and, dare I say, epicness. I appreciate break-up songs that leave me feeling hopeful.

24. Wicked Love [Amidst the Chaos]: Sure, the chorus might need a little extra love, but the hook is pitch-perfect and I love the fireflies-in-a-jar metaphor she employs. Nice to know that mid-tempo shit from Sara Bareilles remains my sweet spot.

23. Lie To Me [Once Upon Another Time]: One of her “pissed-off” songs that manages to make me concerned for the target’s physical safety (the line “Poor prey, you must be tired” certainly feeds into that). A great song to listen to when you’re angry enough to scream into a pillow. Comparable to Frou Frou’s “Psychobabble” in tone.

22. Bluebird [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Possibly her best album closer, and the ballad with one of the absolute best productions. Call it the little song that could. Incredibly underrated. 

21. Poetry By Dead Men [Amidst the Chaos]: You can kind of tell what kind of song this is just by the title—she’s definitely not singing about a relationship that’s alive and well. The production also feels different, maybe due to the fact that she’s almost exclusively using high, sweet notes. 

20. No Such Thing [Amidst the Chaos]: This is one of the weepies that keeps me coming back, thanks in large part to its lullaby melody. I don’t even know if I have to be in a sad mood to want to listen to it. What Adele’s “Someone Like You” is for many, this song is for me.

19. Love Song [Little Voice]: It was the first. My love for this song has waned slightly over the years, but maybe that’s because it’s so second nature to me now. The opening notes still do things to me. 

18. Miss Simone [Amidst the Chaos]: This is a song that I always seem to underestimate until it comes on and I have to stop everything just to soak it in. It’s sort of bluesy without being bluesy, I guess? It’s one of those love songs that’s confident enough to imagine a cozy future that hasn’t happened yet because that’s how much hope the songwriter has. The best of her love songs.

17. Hercules [Blessed Unrest]: This song is pure adrenaline. I love the drums. Great for exercising.

Frozen Hot Chocolate - The purest of sweet drinks. These songs are almost too good to be true.

16. Goodbye Song [single]: This has that standard blues hook (think “Heartbreak Hotel” or “Sinner’s Prayer”), but tinged with a simple sorrow and shaped around simple lyrics. You can use this song to say goodbye to anything that you still cherish, but you know you have to walk away from.


15. Cassiopeia [Blessed Unrest]: In some ways, this is her biggest song, as it takes place in space. Space! Also, to be frank, the lyrics are … well … look, she’s talking about an orgasm, okay? “Come on, come on, collide/Break me to pieces, I/I think you’re just like heaven”? What, you don’t hear it?


14. Say You’re Sorry [Kaleidoscope Heart]: It’s more of a jam than a bop, but man, it’s a pretty great jam. More than a kiss-off song, here she’s all but ready to leave a toxic situation and just wants the satisfaction of hearing the idiot own up to his mistakes. But the kicker is that she’s so confident and independent that you know she’s going to be okay regardless.


13. Beautiful Girl [single]: Probably her cutest song. It always makes me feel better about myself after listening to it. It’s a very similar sound to Colbie Caillat’s underdog “Tied Down.”


12. She Used To Be Mine [single]: Ugh. Don’t look at me after I’ve finished listening to this song. Seriously, I was watching a compilation of Insta stories of Team Starkid members a few weeks ago, and one of them burst out a cover of this song, and it utterly destroyed me. (That was a very 2017 thing for me to write, but it’s my truth.)


11. Machine Gun [Kaleidoscope Heart]: Now that our girl Sara has composed music for a Broadway musical, I feel even more smug in my initial desire to see this song performed onstage. It has that bombastic energy and emotion driving it, like an “I want” song (as in, I want you to shut the fuck up already), and even a non-singer like myself can’t help but belt along with the lyrics. 


10. Stay [Once Upon Another Time]: Her voice. Those strings. That gorgeous harmony. When I listen to this song, the top of my head feels like it’s opening up. This is one of her epics. Can Ben Folds produce another EP for her, please?


9. Armor [Amidst the Chaos]: Once you hear those sharp notes, you just know. “Strength means blessed with an enemy.” “How the hell did Eve end up with all the damn blame?” “You brought the flame, here comes the phoenix.” I have shivers! Jesus Christ, she was saving her best stuff for this landmine of a song.


8. 1000 Times [Blessed Unrest]: This song, improbably, improves on the also-excellent “Stay.” The production here is a touch more conventional, but it’s just as effective. The one thing that gives this the edge, at least in my view, is that she sounds more desperately in love, which sells the song better. Put it this way: “Stay” is like a prolonged infatuation, but “1000 Times” captures the feeling of a love so powerful that it changes your life.


7. Gonna Get Over You [Kaleidoscope Heart]: This definitely fits on a shorter list of “Break-Up Songs That Leave Me In A Good Mood.” It’s the only time she’s embraced the 50s do-wop beat that is part of this song’s magic. There’s a version where she pairs this with the unfortunately good Cee-Lo song “Fuck You” and it’s just perfection. 


6. Fairytale [Little Voice]: The snark is strong with this one. Love the bouncy studio album version as well as every live version that’s just piano. Lily James should have belted this to her awful step-family in the 2015 Cinderella. Don’t ever let anyone try to sell you on the next best thing. 


5. If I Can’t Have You [Amidst the Chaos]: A mature version of Gonna Get Over You, this song chooses to focus on the complicated, bittersweet process of letting go. Even if it takes a while, it’s worth it to move on. But it’s okay to find inspiration in the good memories, too. See? Layered.


4. Come Round Soon [Little Voice]: Any version. Any. Damn. Version. Give me all the pain you got. Belt it. Let it out, Sara. Fuck those angels.


3. Love On The Rocks [Little Voice]: Again, I say—any. Damn. Version. Also, objectively, I think this is the best hook of any of her songs. It makes me a little sad that she hasn’t collaborated with this song’s co-writer since. Maybe the relationship between them was a bit unsteady? Unstable, even? I feel like there’s a metaphor that would describe this better … (actually, it seems as though their friendship is still intact, I just wanted to make a silly joke)


2. Little Black Dress [Blessed Unrest]: Some break-up songs might leave you feeling better. This one makes you want to get up and dance. It also reminds me that I need to update my wardrobe, but I try not to hold that against this song. The production here is nimble, poppy, and infectious. If there was ever a song that was the perfect distillation of the best romantic comedy, this is it. (Apologies to “Everlasting Love.”)


1. Satellite Call [Blessed Unrest]: This one surprised me, too. Before making this list, I wasn’t even sure this would make the top ten. But then I kept putting this song ahead of the next, and the next, and the next .... Much like “Once Upon Another Time” and “Cassiopeia,” there’s an otherworldly quality that elevates the atmosphere. Like “Orpheus,” it’s a call to comfort. I die for a ten-minute version of this song, with its peaceful echoes and zig-zagging reverb and ping-ponging beeps. Some songs have the ability to take you to another place or time. This one creates its own universe.


Comments

Popular Posts