Bookcase fever

I won't be writing up a review for the next couple of days, as I am tackling a large collection called I Like Him, He Likes Her that's been sitting on my shelf for a year.  So instead I'm going to talk about organizing my books.


Wait!  I have a point, I promise.


Today I decided to round up a bunch of books that I've been meaning to donate or sell.  There are a ton of books I have that I haven't picked up again in at least a couple years that have been taking up precious shelf space.  Most people like to collect coins or stamps or action figures or wine; I collect books.  But the thing is, you don't just look at a book and dust it off every so often - it exists to be used, to be read.  And I had to make up my mind about what to do with the books whose spines are still neat and whose pages look like new.


I began with the obvious: books that I didn't like.  Into the "donate" pile went A Good Woman, Pretty Little Devils, Made in the U.S.A., How to Be Popular, and Guitar Girl.  Stuff that didn't really impress me, that I didn't want to be associated with.  Then I picked a few others that I liked, but was ready to part with.  For example, Frederica was a book I liked a whole lot, but I decided to let go regardless.  Some of these books were simply not my style, while others just didn't invite a re-read.  This was the easy part.


It got kind of tough as I kept going back to my shelves.  As I mentioned, there are a lot of books I own that I've only read once.  Sometimes this is because of time restraints, sometimes this is because I want to move on to something new.  I've got a lot of high school-young adult type of books, some of them a few years old - some of them shallow reads, some of which are heavier in message, and quite a few comfort reads.  I kept the comfort reads and a couple that show a similar potential.  I kept books that I know are funny, books that I know are good, books that I hope to read again in my downtime.  A couple books I kept because I like the author too much to let go of them.  I kept books that people have given me and books that can take me back to a different time in my life.  And I kept a couple books that I think are impressive-looking.  


It took me a while to figure why I was so obsessed with making sure I didn't toss out anything I would regret.  You see, every book I read - will ever read - is a part of who I am; my reading experience is a result of how I interpret the words of the writer in question.  And the way I bond with certain books is, for lack of a better word, meaningful to me.  Even the organization from shelf to shelf is important: it means something that Fun Home is on the top shelf while my Harry Potter hardbacks have sunk to the bottom shelf.  This particular collection of books - a collection I spent most of the morning trimming - is me.  Not the whole picture, but a large part of it.  And I want to kind of show myself off, I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts